Truck & Heavy Equipment Mechanic/Yard Manager
Location: 111 Commerce Way South Windsor, CT 06074
Occupational Category: 49-3040
Hours: Full Time, 40 hours per week
Salary: USD 38000.00 $38,000 / year
Description:M&S Paving and Sealing Inc. is seeking a Truck & Heavy Equipment Mechanic/Yard Manager.
M&S Paving and Sealing, a local, family-owned paving and full-service asphalt maintenance company with over 35 years of experience, is looking for motivated a Truck & Heavy Equipment Mechanic/Yard Manager to join our team. Having recently consolidated our operations in our office in South Windsor in order to launch our business expansion program, we service customers within a 75-mile radius and provide full service asphalt installation and maintenance services. We provide health and pension benefits to our employees and have a strong, well-deserved reputation with our customers and our local community.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Mechanic/Yard Manager is responsible for the safe and efficient operation and loading of heavy construction equipment such as tri axle dump trucks, excavators, graders, and rollers. In particular, the Mechanic/Yard Manager will be responsible for preparing the asphalt and concrete teams’ trucks and equipment for the day’s work ahead and breaking down and refitting the teams’ trucks and equipment at the end of the day.
This position will initially require standard working hours as we consolidate our yard and upgrade our facility. After we have completed the reorganization of the yard and garages, the position will require split shift hours (until approximately 9 PM) after our typical day ends about 6 PM in order to break down and refit the trucks and equipment for the coming day after the crews have returned to the yard.
This position will also entail reporting and managing basic engine and equipment maintenance in communication with the Operations Manager, loading and unloading trailers, and working several hours each night alone after the crews and office staff have left for the day. For that reason, we are especially looking for a new colleague with strong communication skills, a solid work ethic and a desire to join and prosper with our family-owned business.
- Working with the Operations Manager to load, refit and prepare our trucks, trailers, and equipment for the asphalt and maintenance teams’ workday ahead.
- Inspecting, maintaining and preforming basic repairs on equipment, including triaxle dump trucks, skid steers, graders, paving machines and various small equipment.
- Maintaining cleanliness, organization and safety in the yard and equipment bays
- Maintaining and securing the safe operation of the Garmin GPS units in various trucks.
- Ordering and maintaining proper inventory of shop supplies.
- Making deliveries or site visit repairs to job sites as necessary
- Operating a forklift
- Ability to manage light to moderate lifting and work in mechanical and automotive environment.
- Obtaining or maintaining a CDL license
- 3 years of experience in an automotive or construction environment preferred.
- Knowledge of basic maintenance of equipment and construction vehicles
- Ability to work second shift with an anticipated normal end of day at 9 PM
- Strong ethical standard and confidence from the team to work alone in the yard in the evening and at night
- Flexibility to work overtime, night hours and weekends on occasion if needed
- Ability and desire to work well with the team with minimum supervision
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Mandatory use of Personal Protection Equipment
- Mandatory compliance with the company’s drug and alcohol testing policy
- Health and dental coverage
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Generous pension plan
- Supplemental life plans
- Holiday pay
Date Posted: October 8, 2018 June 9, 2019
If interested in this position, please click the Apply Now button below to proceed.